You can add a photo gallery to a page or post in WordPress through these 10 steps:
- In WordPress, go to the page or post where you want to insert a gallery.
- Click on ‘Add media’ at the top left.
- Click on “Create Gallery” on the left.
- Upload the desired images from your hard drive (or drag & drop them in the browser).
- For each image, enter a title, caption (this will appear below the image in the gallery) and alt tag.
- Check the images you want to add to the gallery (a check mark will appear at the top right of the selected images).
- Click on the blue “Create new gallery” button at the bottom right.
- The ‘Edit Gallery’ screen will now appear.
If necessary, change the order of the images and the display size here. Set how many columns you want the images to be spread over.
- Click on the blue “Insert Gallery” button at the bottom right.
- The gallery is now shown in the page or post. If you then (after saving in view mode) click on an image in a gallery, it will be shown in an overlay over the site.
Tip: try to give the images the same height as much as possible to make navigating through the gallery easier. (With unequal heights, the images jump quite a bit.)